At Mayacama, golf is our passion but we also offer an array of area and on-site adventures and activities that the entire family will enjoy. An incredible amount of thought, preparation and passion goes into these activities led by Activities Director, Courtney Rebel.
We recently asked Courtney to share some insight, as well as some of her local favorites, with us.
What led you to your role as Activities Director at Mayacama?
Before becoming the Activities Director at Mayacama, I was immersed in a variety of positions in the Wellness and Youth industries. My experience ranges from the Director of Fitness at Congressional Country Club, Director of Wellness and Youth at Palo Alto Hills Golf & Country Club to a Personal Trainer in Golf Fitness, Triathlons and Aquatics. While in these roles, my teams and I have exceeded members’ expectations through programming, superior customer service and capital projects. Some of these include designing a state of the art Pilates studio, building a nationwide renowned youth program and creating unforgettable family events. My adventure of life thus far has been all about kids, fitness and wellness and I look forward to continuing my story at Mayacama!
Four of my favorite activities at Mayacama (and why):
1. I am looking forward to the annual Gingerbread Decorating Party. I have heard wonderful comments about this festive event. It sounds like a perfect gathering to celebrate the holidays with families, friends, Santa and sweet treats.
2. In the Summer of 2018, we have the 1st Mini Mudder Camp & Race at Mayacama. We will create an adventure course on property where kids, ages 5-13, will have a muddy good time competing in this unique event. I can’t wait!
3. To celebrate Valentines Day in 2018, we will be converting the Kids Room into Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory. Imagine lickable wallpaper, chocolate painting and other fantastical sweet treats- Wow!
4. In June 2018, we will have the 1st Annual Mayacama 5K & Kids Dash. The fun run will wind through the hills of the course and property. It will be an active event for everyone in the family!
What do you think make Mayacama so special to members?
Mayacama is a home away from home. The small membership size allows the staff to get to know every member and family. I enjoy spending time with the community of families at the Club and all the happy kids.
Favorite part of the Job:
1. I love planning events for Mayacama families! In my eyes, I have the ultimate dream job where I am able to plan cool events and activities for kids and adults. Who doesn’t love to plan parties?
2. As a TPI (Titlest) Fitness Professional at Mayacama, I get to spread my passion for Wellness and Fitness to the membership. I love helping members discover their areas for improved mobility and flexibility with a personalized testing system. We then work together to increase overall health and improve swing mechanics with a custom workout program. It is fun to help members feel better immediately and see lasting results in a program due to targeting their unique body mechanics.
Share 3 of your favorite Annual Sonoma County events that members and guest’s should attend and why.
1. The Annual Wine & Food Affair is a great way to experience several wineries and a selection of varietals in one weekend. You will discover favorite wines grown right here in Sonoma County.
2. I also love the World Food Affair in September each year. Speakers in the food industry come from around the world to present on everything from local heirloom vegetables to how to grow a perfect tomato. There are also local food vendor with tastings of decedent chocolate and unique superfoods. It is a great place to see what is up and coming in the food industry!
3. Lastly, I enjoy the Annual concert in the Redwoods at Redwood Armstrong State Park in Guerneville. Due to the fragile ecosystem, they only host one concert at the outdoor amphitheater each year. They enlist local bands for the event and light the paths in the Redwood forest with LED lights to create a unique date night experience.
When not at Mayacama you’ll find me: Somewhere on an outside adventure; maybe paddle boarding on a lake, surfing a wave or exploring a beautiful Sonoma County trail.
1 Secret Sonoma County Spot I Love + Insider Tip: Jenner, California for the beach at Goat Rock and the organic café on the point with live music on the weekends.
5 things I can’t live without: Adventures with my little guy Koa (19 months old), nourishing and delicious food, outdoor adventure toys (paddleboard, snowboard, surfboard and bike), my passport and all genres of music.
Favorite menu item at Mayacama: The vegetarian sandwich with cottage cheese bread (yum)
Next spot on my travel itinerary: Provence, France
Thanks for sharing Courtney and for being part of the Mayacama team.
Mayacama is a private golf and residential community where a vibrant club life is joined by an active sporting life in an indescribably beautiful valley. To learn more about membership opportunities at Mayacama, please contact us at 866.519.3088 (toll free) or 707.387.0449 (direct) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Get social with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.