With our Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf course as the centerpiece of Mayacama living, golfers experience the game as it was meant to be played. Of the 200 courses that carry his name, this is among Jack’s very best, where deep green fairways snake though golden valleys and oak-studded hills. It’s a pleasure, as well as a passion, to play the game at Mayacama.
With the recent re-grassing of the course, everyone is gearing up for some of the best golf in the country. We thought it was a good time to re-purpose some sage advice regarding equipment offered in our recent newsletter.
Golf Ball Facts & Fiction
Common among golf ball manufacturers are the claims that no other ball flies farther, rolls out longer, spins more, putts truer, on and on and on! But what really are the facts?
Mayacama Golf Club’s First Assistant Professional Andrew Black recently had a first-hand look when he was invited to tour the Titleist Golf Ball Plant while attending a Future Leaders Conference at the Titleist Headquarters in Fairhaven, Massachusetts. Here are some of the facts (and myths) that he learned while touring Ball Plant III, which manufactures the Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X Golf Balls. But beware … these findings may shock you!
- There are only THREE golf companies who actually manufacture their own golf balls … Titleist, Bridgestone, and Srixon. All other golf balls are manufactured at a handful of golf ball factories located outside the United States.
- Because Titleist makes their own golf ball, they are able to monitor each step of the process from start to finish. Due to their checks and balances only 1 in 1,000,000 golf balls are returned.
- Titleist not only rigorously examines their own golf balls, but does so to their competitor’s ball as well. Titleist purchases 6 dozen of every new golf ball that enters the market to test, analyze, and study their competitor’s product.
- These studies show how their own quality control is second to none because they have their own employees making and examining their golf balls. Through Titleist’s checks and balances, more golf balls are rejected than actually make it to the market place. Flaws that disqualify a ball are minimal, usually off-center stamping, etc. Golf balls that are rejected typically end up on driving ranges as part of the company’s range ball program.
- Titleist makes different golf balls for different markets. For instance, they make the Titleist Prestige for Japan and China, a ball not sold here in the United States.
- There are 17 golf balls out on the market from various manufacturers that are exactly the same, with the only difference being the name that is stamped on them.
- Titleist has been the #1 ball in golf for 68 years.
- Titleist has an impressive corridor of patents. Their most awarded patent holder has 9 short of Thomas Edison.
So which is the best golf ball for you? If you were to choose one of the 17 golf balls on the market which is essentially the same ball as mentioned above, there would be no difference. So why not choose a ball actually manufactured by the company that represents it? Our Members expect the best, and their choice of which golf ball to play should also be the best. Why sacrifice quality in the ball that you play? Choosing the number one golf ball for 68 years should be a no-brainer. So which ball is best for you? We obviously recommend the Pro V1 or Pro V1x, though other options are available if price is an issue. Stop in and ask a member of your Professional Staff and we can lead you towards selecting a ball that is best for your game.
Titleist Holiday Golf Balls – Free Personalization
Start your holiday shopping with Titleist golf ball dozens with FREE Personalization. Order as little as 1 dozen Titleist golf balls and receive FREE Personalization of up to three lines of block text in black, blue, red, green or pink ink. Please ask the Golf Shop Staff for complete program details. Runs through December 31.
Discover the perfect gift for the golf lover in your life at our onsite shop for Mayacama Members. Here are the Top 5 picks available in the Mayacama Golf Shop:
Titleist 4Up Golf Bag
Peter Millar Golf Polo
Antas Custom Belt
Titleist 917 Driver
Galvin Green Rain Suit
Mayacama is a private golf and residential community where a vibrant club life is joined by an active sporting life in an indescribably beautiful valley. To learn more about membership opportunities at Mayacama, please contact us at 866.519.3088 (toll free) or 707.387.0449 (direct) or via email at email@example.com. Get social with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.